Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Loudness War

I imported a whole bunch of professionally recorded/mastered songs
to listen to while i was doing my mastering


after a discussion with pat
we decided that these songs are not what I should be shooting for

we spent so much time writing dynamic songs...and then I mixed them in such a way to try to make them even more dynamically dramatic....and then here I was trying to figure out how to master like commercial mastering house...which means make the music as loud as you possibly can by taking all the dynamic range out of the music

that's not what we want

so
our songs won't be quite as loud
but they'll rock harder


you'll just have to turn them up a little

so
now the only thing i have to figure out is how to make these songs sound like they sonically belong on the same album

which is challenging

but I'm getting closer

No comments: