Wednesday, January 23, 2008

So Much Time Spent, So Little Done

Editing takes an incredible about of time. I spent 4 hours in the studio tonight and all I accomplished was editing the drums,vox, and guitar for a song...and that's just editing out noise, consolidating tracks, cutting toms, etc. (house cleaning) No compressing or EQing has been started yet. I'm going to count how many hours it takes to do one song start to finish. Off the top of my head I'm guessing 72 solid hours per song. and that's probably on the low side. That's not a gripe...I like doing it... anyway I'm in a poetry class. I needed some extra credit hours...and I thought maybe it would help me write lyrics. Today he called out random words and we had 2 minutes to write a poem about what that word made us think of.

Here is my poem for the word ORANGE:

They all taste like aspirin.
Every dimpled,waxy one of them.


They're good for a headache
if you want one, that is.
The off-white jug blows them a kiss
"We'll get in his stomach and consume him instead"

How about that? Yeah, not very good, but it sure is fun to do.
Here's the one for the word CHAIR.

Always for sitting
and never for fun
Isn't there something I could be eating?
yes
during the night my sheep are bleating
and keep me awake
so I count:
one, two, chair, four
I sit up
but my bed's not for sitting
so I roll off the bed and lay on the floor

ewww That's even worse than the first.

Did I mention my poetry teacher has a book called Hitler's Mustache?
It's a book of poems all about Hitler's Mustache. buy it

So
I guess the point of all that was to say that I'm going to try to do writing exercises like that one every day so it doesn't take me 6 months to write the lyrics for 1 song.

and that's all for now


No comments: